Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Echoes in Space - Chapter One NOW POLLING!

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author Chapter
HalfEmptyHero
Headmaster of the Academy

Topics: 33

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Echoes in Space - Chapter One NOW POLLING! Reply with quote

[removed by author]

Last edited by HalfEmptyHero on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 am; edited 7 times in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: I Think...... Reply with quote

A very well done beginning for a space reality story. *Claps* What a way to comit suicide....

Might wanna go re-read it a time'er two, I saw an out where there sould have been an our, and a few others. But not too many stumble points, kuudos! I would like to know more as to just why this got bit it, but I'm sure there'll be somthing about it laters...I like this chappy!

DP...DP.....Well, shoman that I am, I'd say doing the rescue asap, and like, walk in with the body durring the funeral. So, I'd go with an under-the-radar body retrival, bring it in durring the funeral, and blame it all on the capitan!

Nice collection of realism you're adding to IF, thnx Hero-kun! Watching for muches more happenin'!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
HalfEmptyHero

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: I Think...... Reply with quote

PopeAlessandrosXVIII wrote:
Might wanna go re-read it a time'er two, I saw an out where there sould have been an our, and a few others.

Fixed. Hopefully.

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good! Love this, Very Happy I say they should do it while there is still time to catch the boy out in the space, otherwise he'll flaut off into the sun and be incinerated. Very Happy The most possible thing you could do is report the captian and the girl to the "wife" if there was one. let him fight with his wife over a electronic device of some sort. While the two of you try to get the key and the other make sure he acts like he's sleeping on a bed, if someone wakes him, he should say he's going to the bathroom, or he can be at the funeral, while the one gets the keys, and then he says he's going to the bathroom. If trouble is brewing, I'm sure you can make something out of it.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing scenario, although little background information as of yet. That's not a complaint, there are different ways to reveal the narrative. Stylistically it isn't fabulous, but it maintains an easy, brisk rhythm that suits the nature of the story. I can see myself getting immersed into the lives of the passengers and crew of ths space-ship, although I would appreciate getting to know some of the characters better. The captain, in fact, is your most well-developed character. He's a kind of an Ahab minus the rage; he's definitely got the pride, though.

I suggest that they carry out this operation as covertly as possible, since they don't want outright mutiny. Pinning the initiative on the captain would be an interesting turn of events, though.

Overall, a somber yet exciting start. Will continue to follow.
HalfEmptyHero

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
Stylistically it isn't fabulous, but it maintains an easy, brisk rhythm that suits the nature of the story.

The third person is unfortunately not my forte, but I've been trying to change things up lately. The shift from 3rd person into 1st person thought is a bit rough around the edges, and definitely needs some work, as does the dialogue. The dialogue itself is exactly as I wanted it, but all the "he said" "he replied" stuff annoys me. I need to work on that as well.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic start! Extremely immersive right from the start. I want more - a lot more. Information on the mission, things like that, could be helpful.

But I don't fault you for giving it to us a little bit at a time here. In fact, that's excellent delivery skills at work.

The only niggle I noted was Arctor became Actor later in the text. And I wasn't sure if the Private had intended suicide or not by the time the thing was complete. So I'm uncertain whether there's still a chance to save him right now but in the beginning it suggested that quick action might be capable of it but there were costs, I imagine fuel and precious air could be at risk here.

We're past making the decision whether to retrieve him or not. So I say if we're going to rebel, we do it flamboyantly. Presenting the body (if he's dead) during the middle of the funeral sounds just about right to me. And be prepared to launch a full on mutiny at that point. Thus perhaps some rumors should be circulated just before they leave.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
HalfEmptyHero

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
The only niggle I noted was Arctor became Actor later in the text.

That was actually intentional and should only show up when the captain is speaking.
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great catchup begins, and it begins here! With a brand new Skiffy story; that's just a coincidence!

A good read, HalfEH. The small details give hints that we're relatively early in the development of long-distance spaceflight. Fuel is still expensive, ships are still maintainance heavy, cryogenics possibly not well developed enough for the crew to sleep through the worst of the tedium.

Such things would certainly add significantly to the trials of spaceflight.

The chapter made the point. Morale is the most important thing. Arguably more important than a Captain's orders (although of course in the ideal world the Captain's orders would be the best for morale).

Our wouldbe rebels seem to think it would be good for morale, and if they can engineer it to seem like the Captain's idea, then that seems for the best. A crew having confidence in their Captain is additionally good for morale.

Quick typo I noticed:

Quote:
Jacked feared he might make the same ones.

I look forward to more!

Happy Writing Smile
HalfEmptyHero

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll is up.

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows what will happen with this poll. I'm anticipating the coming of a debate about intermixing ideas... Wink
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to claim your prize in the Stimulus Program Announcement in The City Center!

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
HalfEmptyHero

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
Don't forget to claim your prize in the Stimulus Program Announcement in The City Center!
I already did and already received the money Razz

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly its a snake? :-O

Mad slithery I'm dying here, lets wait for more peeps. There is a new group coming, their from the werewolf cafe.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Poke Reply with quote

*Poookes* Mores? Ish der mores comin'?

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great so far! Waiting for more Smile

Mattheus
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I missed the vote, oh well next time. Enjoyed reading this one and looking forward to the next chapter.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: